Village history People Records Houses Newspapers Updates


Home About Links Contact

Cardiff Times

19 August 1876

VACCINATION.—Wm. Evans, Glascoed, was charged with neglecting to have his child vaccinated, Defendant pleaded that the child had been very weak and delicate, but promised to have it vaccinated as soon as possible. He was ordered to pay costs. — Richard Arnold was charged with neglecting to have two children vaccinated. Mrs Arnold appeared, and said the children were twins, and that both of them were dead. The case was dismissed.

16 March 1878


THE NEW BAPTIST CHAPEL—Mr J, Tucker, High street, writes with respect to the new Baptist chapel at Griffithstown :—The chapel seats 400 persons, The collections on Sunday reached £ 21 4s 1 1/2d, and on Monday, £9 17s 91/2d, making a total of £31 2s 2d. The chapel was literally crammed in every available part on Sunday afternoon and evening. Upwards of 500 persons took tea in the schoolroom in the basement of the chapel on Monday, and by seven o'clock the chapel was again crowded. The chair was taken by Mr J. T. Edmonds, of Cwmavon House. The ministers taking part in the service were the Revs. Thomas (Glascoed), G. Watson (Presbyterian). T. Cocker (Pontypridd), J. Evans (Pontypool), the pastor, J. Tucker, and T. Nicholson (of Yorkly, Forest of Dean). The choir, under the able leadership of Mr W. Conway, and accompanied by the organist, Mr J. Evans, on a splendid new Anglo-American organ (the gift of the choir), sang some very good anthems on Sunday and Monday, with remarkable precision and effect.

17 April 1880


AT THE POLICE-COURT, on Saturday … Thomas Pitman, summoned for being drunk at Trosnant, on Saturday night, was fined 5s.—Thomas Davies, innkeeper, Blaenavon, charged with being drunk on horseback at Blaenavon, was ordered to pay 20s.—Wm. Bennett, summoned for being drunk at Sebastopol, was fined 10s. - Robert Davies, for a similar offence at Glascoed, was fined 10s.-

23 October 1880


COUNTY POLICE.—Before Mr G. G. Griffin and Sir Arthur Mackworth, Thomas Holly and John Banks were brought up on remand and charged with stealing a shawl, of the value of 10s, the property of a Mr Davis, residing at the Bryn farm, parish of Glascoed, It will be remembered the prisoners were charged, on Thursday last, before the borough justices, with being in possession of such article, supposed to have been stolen. The result of the remand asked for by Superintendent Wheeldon was the tracing the ownership of the shawl. Prisoners were sentenced to seven days each at H.M. prison, Usk.

7 February 1885

USK. HIGHWAY BOARD.—The monthly meeting of the Pontypool and Usk Highway Board was held at the Sessions House, Usk, on Monday. Mr Win. Bunning presided. A letter was read from Mr H. S. Gustard, clerk to the Llanbaddock and Glascoed Board School, calling their attention to the dangerous nature of the quarries abutting on the highway leading to the Glascoed Board School. The clerk was directed to reply that the quarries alluded to were not in the occupation of the highway board, but belonged to the Duke of Beaufort.

1 June 1889

ALLEGED MANSLAUGHTER AT PONTYPRIDD. An inquest was held at Caerleon police-office on Thursday, before Mr Martin Edwards, coroner, on the body of Mr John William Roberts, farmer, of Rhiwabedw Farm, near Chepstow, who died on Monday in consequence, as was alleged, of injuries received during a dispute with James Arnold Jones, son-in-law of Mr Rosser, tenant of Pettingale Farm, near Pontypool. Mr Greenway, solicitor, Pontypool, appeared for Mr Jones and Mr Kinsey Morgan, solicitor, Newport, for the relatives of the deceased.

The first witness called was Annie Roberts, daughter of the deceased, of Itton, who said her father was in his 71at year. He was staying with her brother-in-law at Apple Tree Farm, Llansoar, where he went on the 12th April. The next time she saw him was at the Pontypool Workhouse Infirmary on the Saturday following. He was in bed, and his arms were in splints, having been injured. She asked him how he got there, and he replied that he did not know. She had him conveyed to Llansoar, where he died. He was of feeble intellect, but in his right mind. He never told her how he got his injuries, and he was never conscious more than five minutes at a time.—By Mr Kinsey-Morgan: The day her father left home for Llansoar he was in good health, and transacted business the morning he left.

Henry Hunt, cattle dealer, Apple Tree Farm, Llansoar, said deceased came to his house on the 12th April, and on the following Wednesday he drove him to Caerleon to visit a sister, and did not see him again until he was brought back from the infirmary.

James Arnold Jones, farmer, Pettingale, made a statement to the jury. He said that between one and two o'clock Good Friday morning his lad called him up, saying a person was trying to break into the house. He and his wife got up and went into the kitchen, where he heard deceased trying to push the door open. Witness asked what he wanted. The deceased replied, “Open the door." Witness told him he should not come in, and advised him to go away. Deceased continued to try to force open the door at the top, and then, because he could not get in, broke a pane of glass in a window near, the outside catch of which he also pulled out. Witness's wife went upstairs to finish dressing, and he and the servant girl went out to deceased by another door. When they got to the deceased, who was still between the door and the window, they asked him who he was, and told him again to go away, but he persisted that he would get into the house. Witness then gave him a push, and deceased struck him a violent blow in the face. He would have fallen but for the servant's assistance. It was dark, and witness could not see what sort of a man he was beyond that he seemed tall. Witness struck back, a tussle ensued, and deceased closed with him. Witness's wife then came out with the sweeping brush in her hand. She gave deceased a blow with the brush, and witness struck him with a poker which he carried as he went out, as the farm is at a lonely spot, and he thought other men were outside. Deceased fell over a low water tub, and afterwards, with the help of the boy, he pushed deceased from the yard in front of the house. Deceased climbed a stile and walked away. Witness went back to bed. About five o'clock the next morning the boy found deceased between 20 and 30 yards from the stile in a sitting posture, and he was taken into the barn. Witness then ascertained that deceased's name was John Robert Howick. Mr Rosser, who is 32 years of age, advised witness to fetch a policeman. The only people at the farm was Mr Rosser, witness and his wife, and a farm boy and servant girl.

A Juryman asked witness what he imagined to be the intention of the deceased when he broke the window of Witness: I thought he wanted to get in, because he kicked at the door and broke the window near the catch. I supposed be was trying to break in, and my wife was very much frightened. The Coroner: It did not occur to you that the deceased might want to get in for shelter ?

Witness No, he acted more like a madman, and cursed and swore.

Another juryman: He was not a man in the habit of swearing, He was a quiet, inoffensive man.

The Coroner: Did you expect he intended to break into the house?—Witness: I thought by his stopping and being so bold there were others there. Mr Rosser's walking stick, which was kept by a low tree near the porch, had been removed, and was found near him.

By Mr Kinsey-Morgan Did not discover be was an old man until next morning. My wife did not say, Shoot the old brute." The man walked to the barn next morning. I saw blood on him, but could not say how he got it. I am 29 years of age, and my wife is grand-daughter to Mr Rosser.

By Mr Greenway Next day he drove the deceased in his trap to the infirmary.

George Chilcott, farm labourer, was awoke by the noise of a door being forced. He told Jones be heard someone trying to break in, and when they went out, the first thing he saw was that deceased had hold of his master round the body. Mrs Jones then came out and bit deceased with the sweeping brush.

Dr de Gruchy, of Caerleon, said be attended deceased from the time of his removal from the infirmary to the date of his death. The deceased's right arm was fractured, the left arm was seriously injured, a rib was dislocated, and other portions of the body were badly bruised. The post-mortem examination disclosed that the collar bone was also broken. Death was due to shock and exhaustion.

Superintendent James, in reply to a juryman, said the deceased was in the neighbourhood of Glascoed on the Thursday night, but that no other information as to his movements between Wednesday and Friday could be ascertained. The coroner summed up that the conduct of Jones appeared to be somewhat extraordinary, and asked the jury to decide whether be bad been guilty of excessive violence or not. The conduct of the deceased in demanding that the door should be opened did not indicate a burglarious intention. After the old man had been disabled by the blows and by the fall, the poker was used, and it would be for the Jury to say whether this was justified. The jury almost immediately returned a verdict of manslaughter against Jones, and he was arrested, but, on the application of Mr Greenway, was admitted to bail. The magisterial investigation will take place at Pontypool on Saturday next.

2 June 1894

MONMOUTHSHIRE BAPTIST ASSOCIATION. Annual Conference at Cross Keys. The annual meetings of the Old Association of Particular Baptists of Monmouthshire were held at Hope Chapel, Cross Keys, on Tuesday and Wednesday, and were largely attended by ministers and laymen. …

… —A vote of sympathy was adopted with the relatives of the late Rev. Joseph Lewis,Glascoed.

27 May 1899


Alleged Horse Stealing at Abergavenny

At the Abergavenny Police Court on Wednesday before Mr J. M. Jones (in the chair), Thomas Stock, Newport was brought up charged with stealing a horse, value £13, the property of Thomas Jones, farmer, Glascoed, near Usk, on the 15th May. Prosecutor stated that on the day of Abergavenny May Fair he sent home by William Harris a, three year old mare. Harris left Abergavenny about 9.30p.m., and witness followed a few minutes later, but did not overtake him. Witness did not see the mare again until the next day, when he saw it at Newport. William Harris stated that after getting about a mile from Abergavenny he was thrown from the horse and rendered unconscious. Prisoner stated that he had attended Abergavenny Fair and Market for about thirteen years from Newport, and as he missed the train on the 15th inst. he decided to walk home. As he was going along the Llannu road he heard a whistle blow, and a horse came running along without anyone with it. Prisoner caught hold of it and took it to Newport. He was about to turn it into a field when he was stopped by P.C. Chapman. After having heard the evidence of P.C. Chapman and P.S. Edmunds, Abergavenny, the Bench decided to dismiss the case as there was not sufficient evidence of intent to justify a conviction.

10 January 1903

PONTYPOOL MUSICAL FESTIVAL. The fifth annual musical festival in connection with the Baptist Churches of Pontypool and district was held at Pontypool on Monday, and was a thorough success. About 600 voices took part, representing choirs from Tabernacle, Trosnant, and Crane-street Churches, Pontypool; Talywain, Abersychan, Pontnewynydd, Griffithstown, Pontrhydyrun, Pontnewydd, Glascoed, and Usk. The conductor was Mr W. T. Samuel, of Cardiff, and the organists Messrs W. Protheroe and W. Back. At the afternoon service, held at Tabernacle Chapel, Mr I. Mason, of Griffithstown, presided, and the Rev. T. A. Plant, B.A., B.D., of Atherton. Lancashire, gave an interesting address on “Music in the churches." The evening service was held in Crane-street Chapel, Mr A. E. Jones, Abersychan, presiding. Mr Samuel, the conductor, considered the singing throughout the festival to be of a very high order. The four parts were beautifully blended, and the voices were perfectly in tune, whilst the expression was excellent. The chorus “Gloria” and the hymn “Rosedene," composed by the conductor, were magnificently rendered. Much credit is due to the committee, of which Mr W. H. Hughes is chairman and Mr S. Jenkins secretary, for the excellence of the arrangements.

28 April 1906

PONTYPOOL MILK CASES. At Pontypool Police Court on Saturday Wm. Charles, milk vendor, Goitre, was summoned at the instance of Mr T. H. Lewis, inspector of foods an drugs under the Monmouthshire County Council, for selling adulterated milk at Pontymoile, The analysis showed that the milk contained 8 50 per cent. of added water. Defendant stated that all the milk he sold he purchased, and it was retailed without being tampered with. The Bench imposed a fine of 20s including costs.

A similar charge was preferred against George Morgan, farmer, Glascoed, and in this case it was proved that the milk contained 9 40, per cent of added water, and a fine of 40sd including costs was imposed.

26 January 1907

A STRANGE CAREER. William Burton was found dead in bed at Norman's Lodging-house, Newport, on Saturday. Deceased had been in failing health for some time, but his demise was not expected, and in all probability an inquest will be held. Burton is reputed to be very well-connected and at one period of his life was a successful schoolmaster. He was trained at the Borough road Training College, London, and obtained first-class certificate. He subsequently was engaged as headmaster at the Glascoed Board school, near Pontypool Michael Church Board Schools, Hereford Brosely Schools, Salop, and the Jack-lane Board Schools, Leeds, where he received excellent testimonials from the several local authorities and was regarded as a first-class schoolmaster. For some reason he fell out with the members of his family, and for some years has been occasionally employed at Newport in distributing handbills and earning what little money he could. He was always reticent in speaking of his domestic affairs, and the authorities, although having made extensive inquiries, have no idea as to the present whereabouts of his wife and grown-up children. It is believed that he has a daughter holding an important position in Cardiff, but up to the present she has not been found: He was about 55 years of age.

8 February 1908

Llangibby Hounds. - Accident in the Field.

There was a large muster at the Llangibby meet on Wednesday at Little Mill, including Mr J. C. Llewellin and Miss Llewellin, Caerleon House; Sir Arthur Mackworth, Bart., and Mr Humphrey Mackworth, The Priory, Caerleon; Mr W. C. Addams-Williams, Penarth House, Llangibby, Mr A. Williams, Pen-y-Parc the Rev. Alfred Williams, Panteg; Major Courtenay and other officers of the R.F.A. Mr E. Steer, jun., Mr G. Steer, The Woodlands, Malpas; Miss Perry, Newport; Miss Pratt Roughton, Caerleon; Miss Lascelle, Mrs Smythe, Abergavenny; Miss Salisbury, Tredunnock; Mr Fred R. Bateman, Mr J. Berrill, Dr. Hackett, Usk; Mr E. Phillips, Miss Phillips, Messrs Phillips, jun., Mr R. T. Mann, Mr C. A. Boulton, Newport; Mr Trotman, The Rhadyr; Mr W. Wells, King's Head, Pontnewydd Mr Morgan, Pontypool. A smart touch of frost during the night made the ground slightly hard in places. The hounds made a start at Coed Tynewydd, and on to the Brickyard, and had just got a touch under the beeches, when some holloas were heard towards Craig-y-Coed, near which Tom (second horse) viewed a leash in a field. In a short while there was a rumpus, and hounds divided, one fox heading, back, another going on down to little Cefn-ila, then up to the Byrgwm, and visiting Nicholl’s wood. At the far end of Craig-y-Coed scent was fading, but the hounds worked up to it towards Glascoed, and over the top to Cilfigan to the Prescoed, and towards Common Coed-y-paen. Then the line was carried to the bottom side of the Prescoed, to Cilwrgy, as if for the forest, but he went along by Ton-y-bedw, Tyn'ycaeau and Coed- y-Fferm, then doubled to the left for Mr Probert's, the Cwm, and over the top by Lan-llwyd to Pant-y-cwcw. The pace got warmer when the pilot doubled short to the left for Cilfigan larches and then back to the lower part of the Prescoed. He kept making short turns in his efforts to evade his pursuers, and after again setting his mask for Cilfigan Park the hounds effected a good kill near the old limekilns, Dr. Hackett, of Usk, deservedly getting the brush. Resuming, the hounds drew through Pentrewaun double hedges by Common Coed-y-paen to the Darren and halfway through the Sluvad before getting going. A bit of brisk work, followed by Mr Williams, the Common, finished up with losing Reynard at the Prescoed after running two or three rings.

During the day several “came off” without serious hurt, but Mr Morgan, of Pontypool, was not so fortunate, as his mount in making rather a steep descent came down, and in recovering stepped on Mr Morgan's face, breaking his jaw. Dr. Hackett, who was in the vicinity, did all that was possible at the time.