Village history People Records Houses Newspapers Updates


Home About Links Contact

Monmouthshire Merlin 1837

25 November 1837

CALAMITOUS FIRE.—On Thursday afternoon last, about six o'clock, the inhabitants of the hamlet of Glascoed were greatly alarmed by a fire which burst out in a newly-erected house belonging to Thomas Protheroe, Esq., known as the Glascoed Cottage. The flames raged with unabated fury, defying all attempts to extinguish them, and we are sorry to say destroyed a great deal of valuable property belonging to the tenant, Mr. Thomas Williams, and nearly 200 bushels of wheat belonging to Mr. William Williams, miller. It is supposed that the fire was caused by a man smoking in the barn whilst engaged in thrashing, some of the burning ashes falling amongst the straw, ignited it, and produced the calamity.