Village history People Records Houses Newspapers Updates
Home About Links Contact Me

 GLASCOED

 PEOPLE & PLACES

Tregeiriog House, Old Llanishen

Loading...

Two later inhabitants of Glascoed have links to this house: Maria Arnold (nee Jones) the wife of Richard Arnold - they lived at Maes Mawr farm from the 1840s.


Cornelius Evans who farmed at Glascoed Fach farm, also lived here.


I am indebted to Hilary Whitton who has done all the work on this page - and the linked house of Llangwendr farm, Llangovan. This was another farm that Maria Arnold and her parents had lived at.


Tregeiriog House


Various spellings on the censuses, mostly Tregirog on old documents, located between Old Llanishen & Maerdy, north-west of Llanishen, 1.7 mls from the church of St Dennis, south of Llangovan, formerly a hunting lodge (local information) for the Duke of Beaufort.


St Dennis’s Church Plaque


William Jones Esq. of Tregirog-house in the Parish of Llanishen and County of Monmouthshire left by his last will dated 10th day of April 1651 an estate consisting of three Fields, lying in the Parish of Llanishen containing 18 Acres 2 roods called the poors land which Estate is to be let according to law and the Money to be given half yearly FOR EVER. One pound to the Parish of Penyclawth and the remainder to the old and the infirm Parishioners of Llanishen (who are not paupers) at the disposal of the Minister; the Churchwarden; the Overseer; and the Magistrate acting for the Division


 


A strange coincidence?


It’s intriguing that the William Jones in St Dennis’s Church has such strong connexions with Penyclawdd, but lives in Tregeiriog. Could there be links to William & Ann’s family?


 


Kelly’s Directory of Monmouthshire 1901: Llangoven


The living is a vicarage, with that of Pen-y-clawdd annexed, net yearly value, £196, with glebe (£105) and residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Llandaff, and held since 1888 bv the Rev. William Rees, of Queen's College, Birmingham, who resides at Pen-y-clawdd.


A charity of £19 10s was bequeathed by the late Mr. William Jones, of Tygyrog, Llanishen, is distributed yearly.


John Jones listed as Farmer at Tregirog (identity of this John not known)


 


Inhabitants of Tregeiriog


1820 Cornelius Evans bapt Llanishen, son of John & Temperance of Tregirog; John Farmer b Llangovan; Temperance b Llansoy; by 1881 Cornelius, Farmer, later moved to Glascoed where Maria & Richard Arnold lived. No obvious link but …. another coincidence


 


William’s family at Tregeiriog:


1839 Thomas died at the farm


1841 March: auction advertised at the farm of cattle ‘property of Mr William Jones who is relinquishing the farming business’ (Welsh Newspapers Online – search on Tregirog)


1841 James & Mary (William aged 77 not found)


Listed as a separate household at Tregiriog is John Jones 70 Tiler


1851 James & Mary; William, aged 87, lives with them; 292 acres


1861 James, Mary & son, John


1861 TO BE LET and entered upon at Christmas next the ‘charity land’ of Llansoy, at present in the occupation of Mr James Jones of Tregirog (Llansoy 21 September from Welsh Newspapers Online)


Later families at Tregeiriog:


1863 David Hopkins aged 18 yrs died in an accident at Tregirog farm 18 October


New owners:


1871 David Hopkins Farmer, 270 acres; David b 1808 Cwmyoy


1881 David Hopkins, Widr, Farmer, with daughter Hannah & 2 grandchildren


 1861 David & wife Sarah were in Raglan, David Farmer of 200 acres


Change again:


1882 Edwin Lewis now owner (Welsh Newspapers Online – various articles)


1891 Edwin 36 & Mary 24 Lewis; Edwin Horse Dealer & Farmer b Llangovan; 4 servants; in 1901 this family has moved to Llanishen Court


Edwin, son of William Lewis b Llansoy; William, son of George; live in Llangovan in 1841


Change again:


1901 Kelly’s Directory: John Jones farmer at Tregirog; identity not known


1901 (31 March) James Jones b 1845 Cwmcarvan, Farmer, wife Harriet née Lewis b 1849, with Francis G,


Kenyon 19, Trevor 14 & Frederick 10


1911 James’s son: Kenyon Lewis Jones has taken over Tregirog with new wife Beatrice (née Williams); assisted on farm by younger brother Frederick; Kenyon d 1967 Droitwich, Worcs


In 1911 James has retired to Raglan, living with son


In 1930 a "Mr Ken Jones" sold the house to the Williams family.


 


Family of James Jones: no obvious links to the William Jones b Llanelly


1851 Croft-y-Cloy, Cwmcarvan: James 4 lived with widowed mother Margaret; children b Llangovan


 Margaret b Newchurch East (birth of eldest child suggests she married after 1841 census)


 Siblings: Elizabeth 8, Matthew 5, Margaret 3, John 1


 Margaret is Blacksmith employing 2 labourers & farmer of 70 acres employing 1 labourer.


 Living with the family is brother Jonas Morris, Blacksmith Labourer, b Newchurch East


1861 New Cottage, Llangovan Margaret retired farmer; James is carpenter


1871 New House Farm, Llangovan James & Harriet b Llanvihangel are farming 86 acres


1891 Old House Farm, Llangovan: James 46 & Harriet 42 have: Louisa M 19; William Mathew; Francis George;


Edwin J; Aubrey J; Kenyon Lewis 9; Oliver Leopold; Trevor V; Frederick 10 mths


Ancestry tree;


James b 1844 Cwmcarvan, son of Matthew b 1813 & Margaret née Morris


Matthew b 1813 Cwmcarvan, d 1849 Cwmcarvan; son of James b 1782 Cwmcarvan & d 1844 Cwmcarvan


 


March 2014 (from David Jones)


There is now a huge job of restoration underway at Tregeiriog. The house was sold in 2011 and the new owners have a strict legal code to follow with the restoration. Everything that is removed must be returned to its original place. Work must cease (temporarily) at the end of March due to the bats (colony of 80) in the cellar! And the owners must also obtain a "bat licence" and install bat boxes.


 


One fireplace downstairs has 1721 engraved on it, suggesting an extension or rebuilding at that time. The staircase is stone and a tight squeeze. There are huge beams on all ceilings. There are five bedrooms, six counting the attic. This important listed building is featured at the National Library for Wales at Aberystwyth (online) and the new owners are seeking as much information on the property as they can obtain; formerly a hunting lodge for the Duke of Beaufort


 


Update May 2014 (from David Jones)


All three builders swear to a presence being in the house and the one lad is openly too afraid to work in there alone. They also add that they have never worked with such expensive materials that are going into the house. The walls and ceilings are being covered in lime and horse hair in accordance as to how it was previously built. It is supposed to be badgers’ hair but they can't use that these days.



Tregeiriog Farmhouse needs a lot of work! Tregeiriog's last major renovation was in 1758. There has been a house known on this site since 1260 when it was owned by Gibert de Clare of Raglan Castle. The owner is interested to know more of the history of the house and its former occupants and collect photographs to make a portfolio on the house. Tregeirog is grade II listed and has a wealth of original features, history and local legend, including connections with Cromwell (apparently his cousin owned the house and he stayed here on occasions); Henry the 8th is reputed to have stayed here, and rumours that Charles II was also connected. It would be good to get some evidence on any of the rumours and perhaps advice on renovation. The owner is in the process of trying to develop the house to create a healing space and garden to help people get back in touch with nature and its healing qualities.


This photograph is © Copyright Jonathan Billinger and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.