Village history People Records Houses Newspapers Updates
Home About Links Contact Me



Monmouthshire Merlin 1850s

2 March 1850 

SUICIDES. – On Wednesday, the 13th February, melancholy suicide was committed near Usk. A man of the name of Thos. Eddy in the employ of Mr George Reynolds, of Lancayo, left his residence the Weir Cottage, about two miles distant from his residence, towards the river; he was followed by one of his children. He walked a short distance along the bank of the river, and threw himself into the stream. The child immediately ran home, and gave the alarm. The spot was dragged, and search made down the river. The body was discovered near Usk Bridge, about three hours afterwards. The deceased was about forty years of age, and has left a wife and several children. On the same day, John Williams, a labourer, living in the hamlet of Glascoed was found suspended by the neck from one of the orchard trees near his house. It is supposed he arose from his bed in the dead of the night, whilst his brother, who was in the same bed, lay asleep, and proceeded to the orchard, where he committed the fatal deed.

Saturday October 19 1850



The first prisoner arraigned was Mary Crowley, an aged woman, who was charged with unlawfully uttering, to Wm Herbert, at Trevethin, four counterfeit shillings, knowing the same to be counterfeit. She was charged in a second count of the indictment, with having in her possession, on the same day, four false or counterfeit half-crowns —Mr. Daniel stated the case, and Mr. Rickards examined witnesses, on behalf of the crown.—The offence was clearly brought home to the prisoner, who had passed the base money in question, in the shop of Messrs. Davies and Potter, at Trevethin, on the 12th of September. The prisoner stated she picked up the coins, and had said that she had received them of a party at the Glascoed. Mr. Potter, on the bad money being handed him, sent for Mr. Roberts, the superintendent, who took the coins, and also received from the prisoner, voluntarily, four half- crowns, she saying, “That's the rest of em” He took her to Mr. Golding, silversmith, who pronounced the pieces to be counterfeit. Prisoner told Mr. Roberts she had received the money from her son at the Race; but afterwards said she had picked them up at the Glascoed. Mr. Golding now proved the coin to be counterfeit.- The Chairman summed up, and the jury found the prisoner guilty—Mr. Roberts recalled, said the prisoner was an unlicensed hawker in Pontypool and the neighbourhood, but he had never heard anything against her character previously to this offence. -To be imprisoned in the house of correction, with hard labour, for three months.

2 May 1851. Page 3.


Elizabeth Howell, a young woman very near her confinement, was charged by John Pitt with stealing a watch, from his person, on Wednesday evening the 23rd ult., at Trosnant. Complainant said he was going home from Pontypool between eight and nine o'clock, and met the prisoner, who took him to her lodgings. After he left, he missed his watch; he returned and gave information to the police, and also charged the prisoner with stealing his watch, but she denied it. -Mary Jones, widow, living in Tudor-street, Abergavenny deposed to prisoner lodging in her house for three nights, for which she owed her 6d and 3d for goods. Prisoner gave her the watch now produced, and asked her to sell it for her, and she would pay her out of the proceeds. Witness offered the watch for sale to Wm. Maloney.- Wm. Maloney said that he took the watch to Mr. Isaacs, pawnbroker, to ascertain its value, and Mr. Henry Harris, shopman, told him that it was stolen, information of the robbery and number of the watch having been given them.-Henry Harris corroborated this statement.—The prisoner was committed for trial, but in consequence of her being so near her confinement, she was sent to the workhouse until she should be able to be removed.


Monmouthshire Midsummer Sessions
Present.- S.R. Bosanquet, Esq., the Chairman; G.R.G. Ralph, George Cave, and W.A. Saunders, Esqs., and the Rev. Mr. Evans.
…Elizabeth Howell, to stealing at Pontypool, a watch and appendages, the property of John Pitt.- Three months’ hard labour in the house of correction.

Saturday October 3 1851


That a separate building, named MOUNT ZION, situate at GLASCOED, in the parish of Llanbaddock, in the county of Monmouth, in the district of Pontypool, being a building certified according to Law as a Place of Religious Worship, was, on the 24th day of September instant, duly Registered for SOLEMNISING MARRIAGES therein, pursuant to the Act 6th and 7th William IV., cap. 85.

Witness my hand this 30th day of September, one thousand eight hundred and fifty-one.


Superintendent Registrar.


Saturday October 24 1851




IS instructed by the Executors of the Rev. J. Probert deceased, to SELL BY AUCTION, at the CLARENCE HOTEL, PONTYPOOL, on SATURDAY, the 1st day of November next, between the hours of two and four in the afternoon, subject to conditions of sale then and there to be produced, all that very desirable and compact Farm and Premises, called or known by the name of “TRI CYMMED," situate  in the hamlet of Glascoed, comprising farm house, barn, stable, outbuildings orchard, and several pieces or parcels of arable and meadow land, containing in the whole 29A. 3R. 10P. more or less, now in the occupation of Mr. Edmund Lewis, as yearly tenant thereof.

This property is Freehold, and situate at a short distance from the turnpike-road leading from Pontypool to Newport, and within two miles of the former place.

For a view of the premises, apply to the Tenant; and for further particulars, to Mr. JAMES, Maltster, Pontypool, or Mr. A. WADDINGTON, Solicitor, Usk.

19th March 1852
Present-E.H. Phillips, Esq.
John Kelly and Christopher Brian, two navvies, were charged with stealing eight pounds of beef, two pair of stockings, one flannel waistcoat, and one silk pocket handkerchief, the property of Mr. Isaac Walford landlord of the Horse and Jockey, near Pontypool. The following was the evidence adduced: —Mr. Isaac Walford, being sworn, said: On yesterday, the two prisoners and two other men, came to my house, and were drinking there until about three o'clock. I saw the prisoner Brian coming out of my pantry: I asked him what he wanted there; he said he had made a mistake. I went into the pantry and I found that a piece of roast beef had been removed. I told the prisoner Brian not to let me see him there again. I refused to draw them any more beer, when they began to abuse me, and swore they would pull the house down. After the prisoners had left the house, I missed two pair of stockings, one flannel waistcoat, and a silk pocket handkerchief; I traced footmarks from the the back of the house to the clothes line; I afterwards missed a piece of uncooked beef out of the pantry. I came to Pontypool and gave information to the police; as I was returning home, I met the two prisoners; Brian had a bundle under his arm. I came back to Pontypool, and PC. Vincent and I went to the prisoners’ lodgings, and there found the piece of beef now produced, which is my property, (the prosecutor here explained to the Bench how he knew the beef to be his property, by the manner he had cut some pieces off it): the prisoner Kelly came up at the time we found the beef; the beef is about 8lb. weight.—John Pitt, being sworn, said: I am a mason, staying at the Court Farm, near the Horse and Jockey: on yesterday evening, about 4 or 5 o'clock, I heard a noise at the Horse and Jockey: I saw both the prisoners there. I saw them go away I observed that the prisoner Kelly had something under his arm, under his smock frock. I came to Pontypool with Mr. Walford and as we were returning home, and near Pontymoile, we met the prisoners; I observed a bundle under the prisoner Brian's arm; I followed them back towards their lodgings. I saw them pass the bundle from one to the other twice; when they got near their lodgings. I saw the prisoner Kelly give the bundle to the prisoner Brian, and he took it into their lodgings. I then met PC. Vincent and told him where they lodged.- P.C. Vincent proved apprehending the prisoners, searching their lodgings, and finding the piece of beef he now produced.—Mary Clary, the landlady, proved the prisoners bringing the beef home to her house, on the evening in question.—This being the whole of the evidence, the prisoners, after being cautioned in the usual way, were fully committed to take their trial at the Assizes.

Saturday August 19 1853



At the WESTGATE HOTEL, Newport, on Wednesday, the 7th day of September, 1853, at Three o'Clock in the Afternoon, subject to such particulars and conditions of sale as shall then be produced,


 '• All that Freehold Messuage or Dwelling House, with the farm buildings, and several pieces or parcels of arable, meadow,and pasture land, thereto adjoining and belonging, known by the name of the GREEN MEADOW FARM, situate in the said parish of Llanbaddock, (with the exception of one piece of land, which is situate in the hamlet of Glascoed), containing together, in the whole, by admeasurement, 101a. 3r. 25p.

The above farm adjoins lands of Capel Hanbury Leigh, Esq., Colonel Clifford, and John Jenkins, Esq.

The respective Tenants of the Properties will show the Premises, and any further particulars may be obtained on application to the Auctioneer, or to the undermentioned, who will produce the several Leases above referred to for inspection. PROTHERO and FOX, Solicitors, Newport.

Saturday June 21 1856


Before J. Firmstone and C. H. Williams, Esqrs.

Elizabeth Lewis v, Henry Morgan.—Mr. Owen appeared for the applicant, and Mr. A. Edwards for the defendant. Applicant lives at Garndiffaith. In July. 1855, she went to live as servant to defendant's mother, at Glascoed. She was in that service three months. The child was born in May last.—Ann Williams, the applicant's sister, said she went to defendant to ask him for some money, and he said she was not to go to his mother; he had no money then, but he would see her the next day and give her some. Defendant stoutly denied the statement, but the witness as stoutly affirmed its truth. The defendant was sworn, at his own request, and he said be told Ann Williams it was nothing to him that Lewis was in the family way; he had no money, and he could not think of giving her any, as the child was not his.—The Bench ordered defendant to pay 2s. 6d. per week, and 10s. for the midwife.

Saturday October 18 1856.


WEDNESDAY. The court opened at nine o’clock.

CHARGE OF ATTEMPT AT BEASTIALITY.- James Davies was charged with committing an attempt at beastiality, at Glascoed, on the 1st inst., but was acquitted.

Saturday April 4th 1857


(Before C.H. Williams and H. Levick, Esqs.)

STEALING MONEY FROM THE PERSON.-John Roberts, a haulier, living in the hamlet of Glascoed, charged Thos. Watts, a young man of decent appearance, with robbing him of £6 2s. The statement of complainant was that he went to the Royal Oak Inn, Goitre, on Friday week, having previously been to a sale of stock, at a farm near at hand. When he entered the Royal Oak he had in his pocket, in a bag, £6 in gold, and 2s. in silver. He remained there drinking with two or three persons, one of who was the prisoner, until nearly 3 o’clock in the morning, and fell asleep. In the morning he went home, and at breakfast he missed his money, and sent for the prisoner. He met him on the road, and asked him if he had seen his (complainant's) money. Prisoner said he had not seen it—he had only one sovereign in his pocket, and that he changed the night before. In cross-examination by Mr. Owen, complainant said he did not look at his money when he awoke at the Royal Oak, and had about £25 in his pocket when he went to the sale, where he bought some stock amounting to £17, for which he paid at the time. He went to the Royal Oak just before dark, and was drinking there about two hours. Could not swear he had not drank seven or eight glasses of beer at the sale; and might have drank two quarts at the Royal Oak. There was tossing for money going on in the house, but he did not toss for money, nor did he call upon the prisoner to name a sum of money he held in his hand, nor was anything said about a 2s. piece. He had given the prisoner eight half-crowns for a sovereign; the prisoner had been drinking with him, and was a little "fresh." —Thomas Roberts, the landlord of the Royal Oak, stated that the complainant came to his house a little before dusk, driving two cattle. Complainant had been drinking, and he tossed with the prisoner for some beer. He remained some time and fell asleep on the chair, holding in his hand a 2s. piece. Complainant dropped 3d. in copper out of his hand, and the prisoner Watts took it up and said, “This is mine." Witness replied, “Yes, it is"—meaning that Watts had won it of complainant in tossing. A man named Lodge, who was present, took up the 2s. piece, and was told by another man, named Jenkins, to put it in complainant's pocket, which be objected to do, and he (witness) put it by complainant's head as he fell asleep, and charged the servant girl to give it to him when he awoke. The witness further stated that he begged of the prisoner Watts to leave the house, which he refused to do, and said he would not go unless be was put out.—This witness was subjected to a close cross-examination, but his evidence was not shaken by it; he stated that all the gold he saw in Roberts's possession was one sovereign.-Elizabeth Hannah, the servant girl, was called. Her depositions, upon which the warrant for the prisoner's apprehension had been issued, were read over, and Mr. Owen cross-examined her, in the course of which it appeared that she saw Watts put the 2s. in his pocket, remarking "that he should do very well about that." Prisoner was not so drunk as Roberts, the complainant, and he went to sleep alongside the complainant, and leaned his head upon the complainant's shoulder and blew out the candle. She saw no gold with Roberts, and both prisoner and complainant left the house together in the morning.—Thos. Major, superintendent-constable, said he apprehended the prisoner on Wednesday last, and found on him a glove containing £9 10s. in gold, a 2s.-piece, a half-a- crown, and 4d. in copper. The prisoner said he had had a part of this money for about six months, and the 2s. piece he received from James Lodge, who took it up from the ground, and "this," the prisoner added, "is the 2s. in dispute."—Mr. Owen then addressed the Bench for the prisoner, and said he felt a great anxiety on behalf of his client, who resided with his father in the parish, and was a respectable man. The prisoner was well known to him, and he could truly say that a more hard-working and industrious young man did not live in the parish. He reviewed the evidence of the complainant, and said that the conduct of the prisoner in assisting the complainant to drive home his cattle was that of a kind friend, and he should be able to prove that the prisoner was in that position of life as to account in a satisfactory manner for the possession of considerable sums of money. He owned an entire horse with which he travelled, and had, besides, some sheep and cows; and because the prisoner had in his possession nine pounds four or five days after the alleged robbery, they were not to assume this was a part of it, and if the prisoner was in a position to command £9, then there was no case against him. He respectfully submitted to the Bench whether they had a prima facie case against his client, and he could produce witnesses who would prove the prisoner had money of his own. The magistrates said they would hear the evidence for the defence, and Mr. Owen called Thomas Watts, the prisoner's father, who stated that his son owned an entire horse, and that he knew him to have £30 of his own, for he had occasion to borrow £10 from him about a month ago. He was in the habit of attending timber sales with him, and on these occasions he paid for all the prisoner had. He was quite sure his son would have £10 or £ 20, and he had also a lot of sheep and a cow and horse. He had sold some lambs lately.—James Lodge said he was at the Royal Oak on the night in question, and beer and money were tossed for; they drank a good deal; he could not say whether he gave the prisoner the two-shilling piece or not. He had seen the prisoner with eight or nine pounds at a time, and he buys and sells for himself.-The magistrates consulted a few minutes, and Mr. Williams said that looking at the evidence, and to the facts spoken to by the servant girl, they felt it their duty to commit the prisoner for trial at the next Assizes, but they were willing to accept bail for his appearance, and Mr. Owen tendered himself as bail. The case was listened to by a crowded court, and occupied upwards of two hours.

Saturday May 23rd 1857


(Before C.H. Williams, Esq.).

THE PIG CASE.—Our last number contained some particulars of a singular case respecting the sale of some pigs in Pontypool market, and their ultimate recovery by the original owner, whose “rejoicing," however, it seems, was of brief duration, as Superintendent Roberts. having been called upon to interfere, took possession of the pigs. Today Mrs. Watkins and her husband, to whom the pigs belonged, and Mr. Coleman, of the Prioress Mill, near Usk, the purchaser, appeared before the Bench to claim the animals; and though it was intimated that Mrs. Watkins should be charged with obtaining possession of them by false pretences, yet the accusation was not formally preferred, neither did she take her place in the dock. Mr. Greenway appeared for her. Mr. Charles Coleman having been sworn, deposed that he was in Pontypool market on the previous Saturday; he bought nine small pigs, and shortly after a man came to him, asking him to buy four pigs which he had to sell; the man at first asked £4 10s. for them, but witness subsequently bought them for 22s. each; the man assisted to place the pigs in the waggon of witness, who sent them home; on witness arriving home himself, he discovered that the pigs were in possession of the wife of George Watkins, of Glascoed. -Andrew Burnall a pork butcher, said on the day mentioned he saw the pigs in the market, which appeared to be in charge of a man and the woman Watkins; witness talked to the man in the presence of the woman, and attempted to deal for the pigs, but unsuccesfully, the price he offered was a guinea a piece; two or three hours afterwards, he saw the man by himself with the pigs he again offered them to witness. Cross-examined: The woman made some remark I think it was about the price, but I won't say what it was.- John Williams, who conveyed the pigs from Pontypool for Mr. Coleman, said, when he had got a few miles on the road, Mrs. Watkins accosted him, and asked him if he had not four spotted pigs; he replied in the affirmative; she said she wanted them, as the man had sold them at too low a price, and she sent a policeman to make the man deliver the money back to Mr. Coleman; she further asserted that Mr. Coleman had sent her for the pigs; witness gave them up accordingly.-P.C. Clark's evidence was to the effect that the woman spoke to him about the loss of four pigs; he told her to go with him they met a man as they were walking along the woman pointed him out as the man who had the pigs; the man replied—" All right, I've sold the pigs." The woman then went away with him, telling the policeman she was quite satisfied.-It appeared that the man offered the money he had received from Mr. Coleman to Mrs. Watkins, but she refused it, saying the pigs had been sold for less than she wished. Mr. Greenway said he was willing to submit the matter to any gentleman or respectable farmer, and to abide by his decision. He suggested Mr. Williams, of Llangibby.—Mr. Coleman said he would prefer to have the Magistrates' adjudication to any arbitration.—-Mr. Williams said he was disposed to take a lenient view of the case, as the woman might have acted in the manner she had under a misapprehension of the powers she had delegated to the man; but it seemed to him, notwithstanding, that the pigs had completely passed to Mr. Coleman's possession and he thought he should be doing right to order them to be handed over to Mr. Coleman, leaving Watkins to bring an action in the County Court. The man, it seemed, had a right to sell them. If a misapprehension existed at all, it was on the part of the woman.

Saturday July 24 1858

WELSH WESLEYAN TEA MEETING.—The friends and members of this society numbering about 500, sat down to tea in the chapel on Monday last, when having partaken of such cheering and invigorating comforts as the tables afforded, an adjournment was made to the British school, when the friends commenced the more intellectual part of the business. Mr. Ellis, house agent, was called to the chair, and stated that the object for which a tea meeting had been held was the liquidation of the debt on the chapel, and he was happy to find that the exertions of the friends had been crowned with such signal success. Addresses were delivered by Mr. Morgan, minister of the chapel, Mr. John Morgan, scripture reader, Mr. Rees Rees, Glascoed, Mr. Morgan, Tabernacle, and other friends. Mr. Rees Rees had a piece of information he felt desirous of communicating to his friends before parting, which was that the roof of the old chapel at Glascoed was likely to come off, and he did not know what to do to obtain a new one unless it would be advisable to have a tea party for that purpose. He trusted the scheme would meet with encouragement in the proper quarter. Mr. Smith, in acknowledging a vote of thanks rendered to him for the use of the school-room, said it would afford him great pleasure to be enabled, to accommodate his friends at any time. Votes of thanks were rendered to the ladies for providing tea, and to the chairman for his excellent services, after which the assemblage separated.